Spaghetti Squash and Meatballs with Basil-Spinach Pesto
Originally posted on Hungry Aggie blog on February 10, 2017.
Tasty: Yes
Make again: Yes
Change: Yes
Well this is my first recipe to debut on this blog - yay! I make various recipes off the top of my head all the time, but I knew I'd have to share this one. Of course, I didn't write down what I did but I think I remember. 😉
Originally my thought was to mix the pesto and the squash together then top with meatballs - you know, the whole spaghetti and meatballs idea. The problem was I made meatballs that don't exactly go with spaghetti, but I love them so I made it work.
The pesto recipe I found online and I probably won't make it again. It was so much more effort than it was worth. It tasted good but it wasn't as smooth as pesto normally is. I realize that means I probably needed to add more olive oil, but it doesn't change the fact that this was a lot of effort. I also only put 2 cups of basil instead of 3 because I didn't buy enough. 3 cups worth of fresh basil is super expensive! Also, I recommend having a food processor that works.. Mine wasn't working when I tried to make this, so I had to use my mini food processor.
The ketchup recipe I found online was the only one without dates in it. I don't necessarily have a problem with dates, but I'd rather not cook with them if I have a chance. This recipe was fine, but it isn't as liquid-y as ketchup normally is. I probably won't ever make this again.
The meatballs recipe is based on Ree Drummond's Comfort Meatballs recipe which is one of my absolute favorite meatball recipes. It is in her first cookbook, The Pioneer Woman: Recipes from an Accidental Country Girl. If you don't have this cookbook, you should get it. I love her cookbooks... any way back to the recipe:
Spaghetti Squash
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Cut your squash in half and scoop out the seeds. Rub some olive oil, salt, pepper, and whatever other spices (I used garlic) you want all over the flesh. Place the halves flesh side down on a baking sheet and bake for 45 minutes.Meatballs
1.5 lbs ground beef1/2 c almond flour
1/4 c coconut flour
1 c coconut milk
3 Tbsp minced onion
salt and pepper
Olive oil
Almond flour
Coconut flour
Sauce:
1 c ketchup
4-6 Tbsp minced onion
3 Tbsp distilled white vinegar
2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
Mix the ground beef, almond flour, coconut flour, coconut milk, onion, salt and pepper until well combine. Roll into 1-in meatballs (roughly) and refrigerate for 30 minutes to 1 hour*.
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
In a cast iron skillet/any skillet, heat some olive oil over medium heat. Mix a little almond flour and coconut flour in a bowl (about 2 to 1 ratio of almond flour to coconut flour). Dredge the meatballs in the flour mixture then place in the skillet and cook until the outside is browned. Place the browned meatballs in a Pyrex (or similar) baking dish.
Mix the sauce ingredients together and put evenly on top of the meatballs. Cook for 45 minutes until bubbly.
*Refrigerate as long as you want. This step helps keep the meatballs together, so I definitely recommend putting the meatballs in the fridge. Especially put them in the fridge while you brown each set of meatballs.


Comments
Post a Comment